Who knows what a Turkey Pesto Sandwich Melt is? For those of you who don’t know, it’s honestly just a fancy grilled cheese sandwich. Who doesn’t love an evenly cooked grilled cheese sandwich??? As a kid growing up, that was my favorite dish that could be cooked in no time. After coming home from a long day at school, my mom would bless me with at least two. Yes, I know, I sound like a fat girl, but that’s okay! 🙂
In this post, I wanted to recreate one of my childhood favorites into a full meal with some protein a.k.a MEAT! I decided to add turkey and a few extras and voila! A cheesy gooey Turkey Pesto Sandwich Melt! I think it’s a winner because my husband devoured the whole thing before I could say lunch was ready. LOL! Gotta love the boo.
Try out these “modern” grilled cheese sandwiches and let me know what you think.
- 1 box of butter texas toast, thawed
- 2 tbsp basil pesto per sandwich
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices of turkey per sandwich
- salt and pepper to taste
- With a knife evenly spread 1 tablespoon of pesto on both sides of each piece of texas toast.
- Place one slice, butter side down, on a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Place half of the cheese slice on the each side of bread. Place the turkey on top of the cheese. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper, top with the remaining slice of cheese, and then place the other slice of texas toast butter side up on top of the cheese.
- Grill the sandwich for 2 minutes. Using a spatula, flip the sandwich over and grill for 3 additional minutes until golden. Serve warm.