This baked cheesy chicken penne pasta adds a twist to comfort food dishes! It is loaded with chicken, spinach and a delicious creamy cheese sauce.
Hey Foodies! I hope you are adjusting to the spring forward well! I must say I love the extended daylight, but at the same time I love my sleep! Losing an hour is so tough for me and my schedule, but at the end of the day, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Since we gained an hour of daylight, I decided to use that early morning mojo and create something new. This week I tried to add a twist to the classic cream sauce used for the American favorite dish, famously known as “macaroni and cheese” and create it into a casserole to include meat and veggies.
This recipe has a flavorful cream sauce which I included spinach and chicken. It makes for a hearty meal that will please your family and have the kiddos asking for seconds. This recipe can be customized to your family. You can switch up the meat and veggie combination to include or disregard whatever you want. The POWER is in your hand. Due to the simple recipe, you will have plenty of time to make and enjoy the dish. Let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Did you like this post? If so, share it with your friends, family or followers.
DON'T MISS OUT!
Join Our Community for Exclusive Updates and a FREE Recipe Card Delivered Straight To Your Inbox
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins, diced
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups milk
- 4 cups (16 oz) Italian cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 package (16 oz.) penne pasta
- 1 package (10 oz.) chopped frozen spinach, thawed, drained and patted dry
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Light grease a 13x9 casserole dish.
- Cook penne pasta according to package directions.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat. Cook chicken until no longer pink about 8- 10 minutes.
- Set aside chicken and wipe skillet out.
- Add butter. Once melted whisk in flour. Slowly add milk and continue whisking. Bring to a boil and continue to whisk until thickened. Once thickened gradually stir in cheese until completely melted. Add seasoning and stir.
- Stir in chicken and spinach. Stir in drained penne pasta.
- Pour into casserole dish.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Keep in touch on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.