Looking for a meaty lasagna? Look no further! This cheesy Meat Lovers Lasagna is the perfect addition to your pasta dinner.
This post contains affiliate links. See the disclaimer here.
I love lasagna, but sometimes I’m in the mood for a twist on the Italian cuisine. When I’m in such a mood, I swap regular lasagna for Meat Lovers Lasagna.
I have the ultimate lasagna recipe, and I know you’re going to love it. With repeat layers of meat sauce, ricotta mixture, and noodles, this cheesy lasagna is the perfect addition to your pasta dinner.
What is Meat Lovers Lasagna?
Meat Lovers Lasagna is a spin on regular lasagna. It’s got everything you know and love in lasagna – tasty noodles, gooey cheese, and lots of meat. Instead of using just one type of meat, Meat Lovers Lasagna uses a combination of ground turkey and ground turkey sausage.
I love this recipe because it’s hearty and comforting. Everything about it tastes good, and it’s simple to make while still packing a lot of flavor.
My whole family loves this recipe, and yours will, too!
It’s important that you use quality ingredients for this recipe. Here are some of the most important th to keep in mind:
- Oven-ready Noodles – You have many choices, but I suggest using no-boil lasagna noodles. These are the easiest to use and have a great texture. You can use fresh pasta, but that adds a lot to your total cook time, and it can give you mushy lasagna. No one wants mushy lasagna!
- Meat – This meat mixture is made of ground turkey and ground turkey sausage. I like to use Italian sausage. It’s a great choice for meat lasagna.
- Tomato sauce – A hearty tomato sauce is a super important part of this recipe. You can make one from scratch, or buy it from the store, just as long as it has good flavor.
- Ricotta – For good lasagna, you need the right cheese, and that is whole milk ricotta. I promise, it’ll taste so much better with a whole milk ricotta cheese mixture!
How to make Lasagna?
Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
Add in the dice onions. Cook until they soften, then add in the garlic. Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, then tomato paste. Mix the ingredients until everything is well combined. Then add in the garlic and herb seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and brown sugar. Mix the seasonings in, turn the heat down to low medium heat, and cook for 15 minutes.
In a medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, sour cream, egg, seasonings and shredded cheese and mix the ingredients until well combined. Set the ricotta mixture to the side.
In the prepared baking dish, add a little of the meat sauce to the bottom. Add a layer of lasagna noodles, then spread a layer of the ricotta mixture over the pasta and cheese. Add a layer of the meat sauce and another layer of the ricotta. Repeat. Add a final layer of pasta, then sauce, then cover with shredded cheese. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling. Remove from the oven, garnish with parsley, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Mastering lasagna can be tricky, but there are lots of tips that can help:
- Use the right baking dish – Good lasagna starts with the right baking dish. Lasagna is a thick meal, so your baking dish needs to be deep enough to accommodate its size. You don’t need a pan that’s made specifically for lasagna, but make sure it’s not too shallow, otherwise your lasagna might overflow.
- Assemble it correctly – Begin your assembly by putting a thin layer of sauce at the bottom of the pan. This will prevent the noodles from sticking, and it’ll be much easier to get the entire piece out of the pan.
- Watch for crispy noodles – The top layer of noodles can end up very crispy, even burnt, if you’re not careful. Be sure to spread sauce over the entire top noodle layer so you don’t end up with hard noodles that no one wants to eat.
- Don’t let it get soggy – You don’t want your lasagna to get soggy. To avoid this, make sure your tomato sauce isn’t watery. If it is, thicken it up a bit before using it. Also, make sure your ricotta isn’t watery, either. If you need to, strain it with a cheesecloth.
- Don’t overbake – You want your lasagna to be golden brown, but not burnt. Check on it after the minimum cook time, and keep it in the oven a few more minutes if you need to, but don’t let it burn.
- Add sour cream – To make an even richer dish, try making this into a lasagna recipe with sour cream. Add it to your cheese mixture for a creamy, cheesy dish with delicious flavor. This recipe has sour cream in the cheese mixture so you can get that delicious flavor!
How many layers are there in lasagna?
This lasagna will have 15 layers – 5 noodle layers, 5 cheese layers, and 5 meat layers.
How long does it take to bake lasagna?
The great thing is baking lasagna is quick. It only takes 25-30 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. You can have a delicious homemade meal ready for your family in under an hour!
How can I tell if the lasagna is done?
You’ll know the lasagna is done when it’s golden brown and bubbly. Even if you’ve gone past 30 minutes, keep baking until it has the right color.
How long should I let the lasagna cool?
Let the lasagna cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serving it.
How should I cut the lasagna?
Use your sharpest kitchen knife to cut the lasagna. I like to use a chef’s knife. Then I use a spatula to remove pieces from the pan.
How many servings are in a 9×13 pan of lasagna?
A 9×13 pan of lasagna should yield 8-12 servings. This can change depending on the size of pieces you cut.
How long does lasagna last?
Lasagna can last up to 5 days in the fridge when stored properly. Keep it in an airtight container to keep other odors and flavors out.
Lasagna can last up to two to three months in the freezer. Make sure you store it in a freeze-safe container and label it with the name and date.
I love lasagna on its own, but I also love to turn it into a whole meal! Here are my favorite dishes to serve it with:
- Garlic bread – I know, having bread with lasagna is a lot of carbs, but a few won’t hurt! Plus, it tastes amazing.
- Chopped salad – A fresh chopped salad is the perfect side. It adds a healthy balance to a hearty meal.
- Caesar salad – If you prefer a different salad, you can’t go wrong with a classic Caesar.
If you’re having leftover lasagna the next day, you can easily heat it up. Sure, you can throw it in the microwave, but it’s even better reheated in your toaster oven or your air fryer. Reheat it for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Try Another Recipe
I love this Meat Lovers Lasagna recipe, but there are others I love, too! Next time, try my Cast Iron Skillet Lasagna.
You and your whole family will love this lasagna twist. Let me know if you try either of my lasagna recipes!
Other pasta dinners you will love:
Remember to subscribe to Domestic Dee Digest for the latest notifications delivered to your inbox!
If you make one of these recipes, hashtag #domesticdee on INSTAGRAM.
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Follow Domestic Dee on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of the latest content, recipes, and updates.
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
The Best Meat Lovers Lasagna
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage removed from casings
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 teaspoons of garlic paste
- 2 17.5 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic and herb seasoning
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 15 ounces whole-milk ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1 Egg
- 1 ½ cup of Shredded 6 Cheese Italian
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 4 1/2 cups of Shredded 6 Cheese Italian divided
- Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles - 9oz
- Parsley for garnish
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add olive oil, cook the ground turkey and ground turkey sausage until it browns. Break up the meat combination while it cooks.
- Add in the dice onions. Cook until they soften, then add in the garlic. Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, then tomato paste. Mix the ingredients until everything is well combined. Then add in the garlic and herb seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and brown sugar. Mix the seasonings in, turn the heat down to low medium heat, and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, sour cream, egg, seasonings and shredded cheese and mix the ingredients until well combined. Set the ricotta mixture to the side.
- In the prepared baking dish, add a little of the meat sauce to the bottom. Add a layer of lasagna noodles, then spread a layer of the ricotta mixture over the pasta and cheese. Add a layer of the meat sauce, and another layer of the ricotta. Repeat. Add a final layer of pasta, then sauce, then cover with shredded cheese. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling. Remove from the oven, garnish with parsley, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.