These pancakes will become a family favorite. They are a healthy and delicious breakfast! Not to mention the Strawberry Vanilla Compote.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
As the New Year starts a lot of us have to recover from all the amazing food and dessert. I know the feeling all too well. I mean the holiday gives a reason to eat sweets and good food, right?
Once the holiday is over we feel the need to diet, detox or even cut back.
Well, now that we are back to the regularly scheduled program, I find it a tad bit hard to give up things I enjoy. So instead I try to make dishes much healthier.
That brings me to these Whole Wheat Pancakes with a Strawberry Vanilla Compote. Our family enjoys pancakes. Our ultimate favorite recipe can be found here. I wanted to make this recipe a tab bit healthier and still enjoyable. And that is exactly what I did!
The boys could not tell the difference. I was so excited because my oldest son is a picky eater and can normally tell the difference when I make adjustments even when they are minor. So we have a winner!
Now about my other son, he eats pretty much anything. I could barely finish making them without him wanting to eat them fresh off the griddle.
As for the Strawberry Vanilla Compote. It is not complicated as you may think. All you need is strawberries, sugar, and vanilla. Place everything in a saucepan and just make sure you watch it and stir. It will break down slowly. Feel free to cook to the consistency of your preference. That’s about it.
These whole wheat pancakes can also be paired with this Easy Berry Fruit Salad.
Kitchen Tools You May Need for this Recipe:
Remember to subscribe to Domestic Dee Digest for the latest notifications delivered to your inbox!
If you try a recipe, hashtag #domesticdee on INSTAGRAM. Follow Domestic Dee on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of the latest content, recipes, and updates.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Strawberry Vanilla Compote:
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups of strawberries, sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Heat skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in the bowl with the dry ingredients and gently stir until well combined and the batter is smooth. (DO NOT OVERMIX!)
- Pour ¼ cup of batter into the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface
- Flip pancake with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.
- Strawberry Vanilla Compote
- In a pan combine all ingredients and cover.
- Turn heat up to medium & cook.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Cook for about 10-20 minutes until desired consistency.
Don’t you feel like eating Whole Wheat Pancakes? Check out these Homemade Pancakes.
PIN FOR LATER