This easy chopped cheese sandwich recipe is a quick and delicious dinner for busy evenings. This a nice twist on your favorite cheeseburger. Your family will surely add this as a favorite meal.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Lots of delicious ways to customize and use your favorite sandwich ingredients
- Easy clean-up–virtually no mess!
- A quick meal that’s done in under 30 minutes–perfect for busy weeknights!
What is a Chopped Cheese Sandwich?
If you are not familiar with a chopped cheese sandwich it is basically a hamburger but the meat is chopped up with sauteed onions and melted cheese and made into a sandwich.
The cheese is melted into the meat and then the meat mixture is topped with your favorite toppings.
If you love a juicy hamburger, then there is no doubt that you will love this chopped cheese sandwich.
Ingredients You will need to make this Chopped Cheese Sandwich Recipe:
(Note: The full list of ingredients and detailed instructions are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.)
- Avocado Oil
- Brioche bun or Hoagie Rolls
- Diced onions
- Ground turkey
- Sazon Seasoning
- Adobo Seasoning
- Provolone Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Tomato Slices
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
Ground Turkey: Ground beef hamburger meat can also be used. You can also add green peppers with the onions as well to have more of a Philly cheesesteak sandwich.
Buns: My favorite bread to use is Brioche buns or hoagie sub rolls. You can use a hamburger bun as well.
Cheese: You can use any cheese you like Cheddar cheese or American cheese slices. You can even put cheez whiz. I just love using a mixture of sliced pepper jack and provolone. I love the spice the pepper jack gives.
Spice: Fill free to mix up the spices to create your own flavor.
Toppings: Pile on lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, or whatever you love on your burgers that can be added to this chop cheese sandwich.
How To Make This Chopped Cheese Recipe
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 Tablespoon avocado oil.
Add ground turkey to the pan, and let the meat brown while starting to chop up the ground turkey using a spatula (8-10 minutes). Continue to chop and cook the meat until no pink remains.
Add the onions to saute until they are translucent (about 3 minutes). Add the seasonings and stir to thoroughly combine.
Divide the meat into 4 equal portions and top each portion with 2 slices of cheese. Allow the cheese to melt while in the skillet.
Toast your buns in a warm skillet.
Spread mayonnaise and ketchup on the inside of the brioche buns, then top with chopped meat mixture. Add tomatoes and lettuce or your other preferred toppings and then serve.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheating: To reheat the ground meat, you can use the microwave or reheat in a medium skillet over medium for 3-4 minutes or until heated through.
Freezing: This ground meat can be frozen! Freeze cooked meat in a freezer bag, sealed tightly for up to 2 months.
What to Serve with Chopped Cheese
I love to serve this with Air fryer sweet potato fries or a side of kettle cooked potato chips. You can also serve it with french fries. You can never go with any of these choices.
Remember to subscribe to Domestic Dee Digest for the latest notifications delivered to your inbox!
If you make one of these recipes, hashtag #domesticdee on INSTAGRAM.
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Follow Domestic Dee on
If you love this delicious chopped cheese sandwich please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
More Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Easy Chopped Cheese Sandwich
- 1 tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1/2 cup Diced onions
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- 1 packet Sazon Seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Adobo Seasoning
- 4 slices Provolone Cheese
- 4 slices Pepper Jack Cheese
- 4 Brioche Buns or Hoagie Rolls
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Tomato Slices
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 Tablespoon avocado oil.
- Add ground turkey to the pan, let the meat brown while starting to chop up the ground turkey using a spatula (8-10 minutes). Continue to chop and cook the meat until no pink remains.
- Add the onions to saute until they are translucent (about 3 minutes). Add the seasonings and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Divide the meat into 4 equal portions and top each portion with 2 slices of cheese. Allow the cheese to melt while in the skillet.
- Toast your buns in a warm skillet.
- Spread mayonnaise and ketchup on the inside of the brioche buns, then top with chopped meat mixture. Add tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Add lettuce or your other preferred toppings and then serve.